March 23, 2013

What happens when you survive? You get Life.

Adam J. Salsberg in 18=Chai=Life
Adam Salsberg, a Chicago sound engineer and musician, found MarLa studio when recovering from a serious hit and run bike accident.  If he wasn't wearing a helmet, well.... HIS HELMET SAVED HIM.

To express their relief and joy, Adam's parents wanted to get him something personal and life affirming. They wanted it to be spiritual, but cool - something a guy like Adam would wear. Their internet search brought them to my 18=chai=life. Honored to be a teeny part of his journey back to a big, music filled life, I recently caught up with Adam. THIS (!!!) is what he's doing:

I've been busy at the studio, things are going really well for me there. I recently started teaching a recording group for teenagers twice a week with a youth program that is held in the same building as the studio. I'm currently working on recording a mixtape with a rapper named Duggie, and got to produce one of the beats for it as well. I've also been recording some tracks with Slugshot Malone. Other rappers I've recorded include Dreezy, Big IL and Sly Polaroid. I've had the pleasure to work with Malik Yusef on several occasions. Malik is a 5 time Grammy winning songwriter and poet, probably best known for his work with Kanye West. Also recently, I've done commercials for Providence St. Mel, a private school in Chicago.

At my home studio (called Space Jam) my favorite things I've recorded are Oshwa, which is a really great band, as well as solo artist Fleeting Image. Both of these were recorded and mixed by my friend Seth Engel and I together. Seth and I also recorded and mixed a compilation of Chicago solo artists, an idea we came up with ourselves. It can be obtained free at redbeardrecords.bandcamp.com.

My band, Cage Match has one album out that is free to download at cagematchmusic.bandcamp.com, and have new material coming out in the near future. Our music is unexpectedly peaceful, contrary to the name. I have also composed and recorded music for several of my brother's animations, which can be seen at www.pokegravy.com.

Now that's a life.

Adam in the studio






No comments:

Post a Comment